Hey Greg, you got it right.
Sounds like you may have your port and starboard motors incorrectly wired. Check that the correct color wires go to the correct motor. If they do then the direction might not yet be set. Check the last guide in the build instructions (similar to step 23) such as reversing the motor direction as seen in step 23.
Just one in each tube.
Hey Georgia. Camera outages are usually caused by three things: 1- faulty USB cable. while the ROV is on and plugged in, wiggle the USB cable and see if it cuts out. Once it cuts out you can reset the software and it may or may not come back on. But this is a clear give away of a USB problem. 2- Bad software. I'd do this no matter what was wrong. Re-download the latest cockpit software and follow the instructions in this guide to re-flash the beaglebone and then reupload the arduino code as both steps are necessary. Power cycle the ROV and then see if it continues. 3- and this is actually kinda rare, a beat up camera. Disconnect your camera from the ROV and plug it into the laptop. You can use any number of programs to test out the camera with the laptop...this can also be useful for testing the USB if it is suspicious. If you find a problem or need help finding a problem, please post a question in the support section of the forum or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck!
Oh for sure! The WD-40 Specialist pictured is a silicone lubricant that works really well. Any spray silicone lubricant will do, though, such as the 3M silicone lube. Many boating / RV stores sell a marine specific lubricants that might work as well but we haven't tested those at any length.
Hey Sergio, typically--yes, we usually are able to simply plug in the logitech gamepad with no modification to the html. But as Brian G said in the last note, it's not something that is up to us or the cockpit software, it is up to the API of google Chrome. Updates and changes to their API can cause it to cease to function correctly. So far we've used the Logitech for years with few problems. In short--I cannot guarantee that it will work for you but I'm very confident that it will. If you are concerned about it working, check the link: http://html5gamepad.com/. If you run into trouble, give us a quick email at email@example.com and we can get a troubleshooting session started. Happy ROVing! Z
We aren't 100% sure. We did some testing on this early on and determined that it doesn't happen to all the batteries all the time. The worry is that it may create an unsafe charging conditions and/or it may cause the battery to be damaged. Most commonly you will notice that the battery won't charge fully next time around if there's a problem but there shouldn't be an issue that would prevent you from running them normally from now on. Test them with a multimeter if you are concerned that they are damaged and see if they won't hold a charge or become discharged too quickly over the next 1 or 2 uses. If nothing seems different they are just fine.
If you are missing anything please contact the support team here:
Yeah, this step is really tricky if the wire routing makes the orange wire short.
You're on the right track for a solution though. I always prefer to extend the length of wire in the front by soldering on a new length (roughly 4 cm or so). The wire should be loose so that it can spiral down the battery tube on the outside of the batteries.
It's annoying, but it will be effective. As for removing the batteries, I usually use electrical tape to stick all three batteries together once they are charged if I have a tube I know is sticky or batteries that don't make the best contact with each other.
Page 1 of 3